Wednesday, September 11, 2013

This Season's First New Show

Monty & Mike with Headless
FOX screened their new show Sleepy Hollow at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery on Sunday, September 8th - more than a week before it premieres on the network. What a fun night! I went with my friends and we spread out our picnic blankets and made a night of it. 


The show stars Tom Mison as Ichabod Crane and Nicole Beharie as Lt. Abbie Mills. The premise - Icabod Crane is resurrected 200 years (plus) after he died fighting in the Revolutionary War. He is confused as he finds himself in modern day Sleepy Hollow. What we quickly find out is that the Headless Horseman has also been resurrected and is on a deadly mission. Icabod teams up with Lt. Abbie Mills who is one of the few people who believes his resurrection story. 

As the plot begins to unwind, you get more and more engrossed in the mystery surrounding Ichabod, his wife and what happened when he died. He and Abbie figure out that other members of the Sleepy Hollow community suspected there was something mysterious happening in their little town. This sets up the rest of the season and provides many a curiosity for Ichabod and Abbie to solve. 
Sleepy Hollow

FOX's summary says: "Clues from the past enlighten mysteries in the present, as each episode features a flashback to Ichabod's life in 1776. Ripe with untold stories from American history ad cloaked in mythology, the divide between present and past becomes dangerously blurred."

We all enjoyed the show and were surprised at how MUCH we all enjoyed it. I had heard good things about it and happily, I wasn't disappointed. And it was surprisingly funny! I am a person who also enjoys American history, so it's another appealing element of the show. My only hope is that they don't get too bogged down in the mythology. Please see Lost as an example of how to confuse your audience. 

Sleepy Hollow airs on FOX - Mondays at 9pm.



I will give this 4 out of 5 stars - a must watch in my book. 

1 comment:

  1. Great write-up and show. I don't love history, but I like the plot and am interested in learning more about Abbie's past. I am fond of Orlando as a person and hope his role grows. My dad said The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is in the curriculum in NY schools. Did you have to study it? o

    ReplyDelete